Sunday, April 25, 2010

4/18/2010 Port of Skagit

Back home again and today I headed for my walk about 2:30 this afternoon on the Port trails. It was a beautiful day, and there were lots of people out on the trails, as is pretty common on Sundays. The parking lot was full when I got there. There must have been some sort of fly-in event at the airport, because I have never seen so many planes taking off and landing during one of my walks. This biplane was one of the ones that flew overhead just as I started my walk.
I walked for an hour today. It was so nice out, and I covered 2.88 miles on the loop along Ovenell Road.
When you consistently walk the same areas over time, you notice small differences. Today as I was finishing the loop through the woods on the trail, I noticed a large tree that had just recently lost a large limb. I'm guessing it was during the most recent windstorm we had while I was gone a couple of weeks ago. It also looks like there had been a cross country race through the trails a while back as it is pretty clearly marked with red Xs and arrows defining a route. That would be a great place to run a race. As I walked today, I was reminded of how lucky I am to live in a place so close to all the amenities i could ever need, and yet to be able to walk in a forest filled with huge old growth timber just 10 minutes from my home.  My route is here: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/685018

No comments:

Post a Comment