Monday, February 8, 2010

2/8/2010 Is It Really Still Winter?

Wow! What a day! Temperature in the 50s; sun! It was glorious today. No need for a heavy coat, or gloves, or even a hat. Hard to believe that in other places in the United States, people are buried under a few feet of snow. Here in Skagit County daffodils are ready to bloom. Buds have sprouted everywhere. Early rhododendrons are blossoming. If we get a cold snap, look out. In the meantime, we have to enjoy this weather.
My friend Christie and I walked the Padilla Bay Trail today. It is 2.3 miles from one end to the other, and I had yet to walk the whole trail, so that's what we did today. We took two cars and parked at each end. When I have more time and more stamina, we can walk the whole trail both ways, 4.6 miles, but not quite yet.  I did get some great pictures today on the parts of the trail I hadn't been on before.  The water was so calm that trees, posts, everything was reflecting in it. The tide was just starting to go out, so the water was quite shallow along the shore. Ducks of every kind were pecking in the mud seeking food. We also spotted a few herons today, but they were too far away for a good picture. The only thing we couldn't see were the mountains, as there was still a low cloud cover to the south and east of us.  You can't beat this walk for the scenery!
It seems like every time I am here there is some sort of bird on top of these posts. These two cormorants appear to be having a nice conversation. As we walked away, the one on the right spread his wings, sunning himself. Lots to see on this walk, so my time was a bit slower. If you look at my data, you can see all the times we stopped to take pictures.  http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/616760

1 comment:

  1. This weather is making me want to retire! Enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete