Friday, February 12, 2010

2/12/2010 Home again!

I have to say that walking wasn't on my mind when I first got up this morning. By the time I made it home last night (or should I say this morning) and got to bed, I had been up for 22 hours and it was 2:00 AM.  I slept in today!  I came home to lots of wind and rain, but around 1:00 PM today, it looked pretty good and I was actually looking forward to going for a walk.  I keep a notebook of all my walks, so I looked up the longest walk at the Port of Skagit Trails and decided for that option today. 2.9 miles in just over an hour. (My goal is 3 miles an hour at some point...I am getting close.)  It was a good day for a walk; still I was surprised at the number of cars at the parking area. In all sorts of weather, people are still out walking. It was a bit windy when i started out, but it was behind me, and once I headed into the wooded part of the walk, it was very pleasant. I have a hard time figuring out how many layers to put on, and I ended up taking off my gloves and unzipping my coat.  Lots of times when I am heading out to walk, I chastise myself for forgetting my Ipod and headphones, and then on the walk, I realize I don't miss them. Without the headphones, I have a chance to listen to the birds singing and the frogs croaking. I would miss those sounds if I had headphones in. Today, though, an Eagle scared me. As he flew overhead, he let out a loud screech and I jumped a bit! There are also postings around the port that a coyote had been spotted a while back, and so now we have to keep a better eye and ear out for that as well.
This I find an astonishing sight on this trail. It is no fewer than 6 trees who must share the same root system. They are all leaning one direction and pulling up the shallow roots from the ground. I am sure this was caused by a combination of wet soil and high winds. Another of those combinations will topple these trees for sure. I am used to seeing this happen with cedar trees a lot, but those are usually individual trees, not a group like this set.
This is an example as to how wet it is around here. Moss everywhere. Makes for an interesting picture, though.
You can see my route today here:  http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/619136

No comments:

Post a Comment