Sunday, February 28, 2010

2/28/2010 A Record Setting Day

No. I'm not talking about the Olympics and all the medals the US won. I took my longest walk so far today, 4.35 miles. I did the entire Padilla Bay Dike trail, out and back.  I decided I hadn't gone to the Padilla Bay trail for a while, and it is by far the most scenic trail. I really didn't intend on walking so far, but it was such a beautiful afternoon. I headed out after the US-Canada Hockey Gold Medal game, and once I started walking, I just kept going.  My knees and legs held up great. I did get a bit hungry, and my hands got cold once the sun went down, but all in all, it went quite well.
There were so many people out today that it was difficult finding a parking spot. People were running the trail, walking, pushing strollers, and bicycling. And the animals were everywhere today. I saw two bald eagles sitting in a tree; two river otters scurrying into a hole in the rocks; heron; a rabbit; and of course numerous ducks of all sorts. 
The two eagles sat up high where they had a good view for fish, ducks, or other food sources. One of them was still there at the end of my walk. The river otters were a surprise. They were playing on a little point of land that juts out where there is a bench. A man was sitting on the bench, totally unaware that beneath him there little playful animals were having fun.  The sun had nearly set by the time I was done today. As I was taking this picture, a lady ran past and commented on the beautiful evening. Indeed it was.
My mind wanders a lot while I walk--today I wondered what it would be like to walk across the state or even the country. At my rate it would take me 15 days just to get to Spokane. One of my favorite books was A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins, published way back in 1979. I think I need to reread it. I looked for it tonight, but can't find it. Must have given it away--as I do quite often with books I really enjoy.
I have now completed two months of walking and totaled 130 miles so far! This coming week will be a challenge; I will be at the NCCE conference all week. I doubt I'll have any maps, will mostly track my walking through my pedometer. last time I did that, a couple of years ago, there were days when our steps were in the 20,000 range. We'll see. You can see my route today here: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/631605

No comments:

Post a Comment