Saturday, February 27, 2010

2/27/2010 The River is Low

This past week there have been a couple of articles in the local paper about the PUD asking people to conserve water. Now we live in a wet corner of the earth, so this is odd to hear, but if you have followed my blog, a few weeks ago I mentioned how low the Skagit River seemed to be when I walked on the dike. Sure enough--that's the problem. Today I wanted to walk the Dike Trail again to see if it was any different. I actually think it is worse now. You can see the sand bars in this picture.
Those sand bars weren't there the first time I walked this trail in January, so we have to do our part to conserve water--shorter showers, fewer flushes, and turning off the water while we brush our teeth are a few easy things we can do to conserve.
It really never quit raining today like I expected it to, and I finally bit the bullet, piled on my REI rainy weather gear and headed out. Have I said enough times yet how much I appreciate my REI clothing? By the end of my walk, I was plenty warm, still dry, and the rain finally slowed to a halt. Supposed to be quite nice tomorrow. 
I didn't expect to see much today, being it was a Saturday and it was raining, but the area was hopping. At one end the police were checking out some guy parked down by the boat ramp. Then the dike district was out cutting branches from trees. Remember the picture I posted a while back where I thought some homeless person might be sleeping? Well, that entire tree is gone today and any low branches that reached the ground on the trees along the river are now all sawed off. I think it's a way to keep people from hanging out, but there is probably a much more boring and saner reason for cutting them off.  You can see my route here:  http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/630616

No comments:

Post a Comment