Saturday, January 9, 2010

1/9/2010 Washington Park, Anacortes

Today I decided to drive back out to Anacortes and try the Loop Road at Washington Park. 2.3 miles the literature said. What it didn't say was how hilly it was for someone who has only been walking on a regular basis for 9 days...whew! Tomorrow I think I'll stay on flat ground, and maybe just walk for 1/2 hour or so--give my knee a bit of a break. It was sort of sore today, but then I have walked over 20 miles in the past 9 days.


This trail is shared with cars, and I actually found that a bit bothersome after the past several days of being on pedestrian trails. The road is one lane, so it's pretty narrow for even a car and a pedestrian. Although I found the walk to be quite a bit more up and down than I expected, the scenery from the walk can't be more beautiful: views of the San Juans, ferries, old growth timber, ferns, and Cyprus trees.


I didn't have as fast of pace today, only 2.3 MPH compared to about 2.7 normally, but there was an elevation gain of 250 feet, which to me, at this point was like climbing a mountain. Again, it will be interesting to do this walk every few months and see my improvement.  I do know that a man jogging with his dog passed me THREE times today in my 2.2 mile walk...a bit embarrassing.  I had to look at him each time, too, because we were going in opposite directions. Lots of people out today--many with their dogs, some walking, some running, some just sitting and enjoying the views.  You can see the route here: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/597506



No comments:

Post a Comment