Thursday, January 7, 2010

1/7/2010 In Memory of my friend Linda

Today was my 7th walk. My friend Christie went with me again today, and I was glad, because yesterday a long time friend of mine in Little Rock, Arkansas, passed away after a short bout with breast cancer, and it would have been so easy to not go for a walk and instead stay home and feel sad. But I knew Christie was waiting for me. We sort of created our own trail today, starting out near the marina in Anacortes. We walked around the marina area, then went to Cap Sante Park, then back out to parallel the street on a portion of the Tommy Thompson Trail. In all we went about 2.5 miles today, but my average speed is increasing; we averaged 2.9 miles an hour today compared with about 2.7 normally.  My route and data are here: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/596163




The route was paved all the way, so no worries about water on the trail, and it was a very nice day. A bit overcast, and chilly, but it felt refreshing, and emotionally was a great thing to do. As we walked, I remembered a walk I done in Little Rock with my friend Linda and her son a couple of years ago. We walked across The Big Dam Bridge there, the longest bridge (4226 feet long) in the United States that was built just for pedestrians. (http://bigdambridge.com/index.htm)  Below the bridge are some locks, and we watched as barges made their way through.  It was early November, the leaves were just starting to turn in the South, and it was a beautiful evening. I'm glad I had the opportunity to walk that bridge with my friend, and she'll be walking in spirit with me this year.









1 comment:

  1. Excellent, Becky. It had been alot of years since I saw Linda, wish I had another chance. I was sad today too. Time goes so fast and we never know what is going to happen.

    ReplyDelete