Friday, January 8, 2010

1/8/2010 Skagit Golf and Country Club Loop


Today is gray and rainy, and I really wasn't too motivated to get outside, but once again, when I did, it was actually pretty nice. It really feels good to get out and walk every day, very cleansing for the soul. Today was fairly mild, although I dressed myself for the dead of winter, and except for the first 1/4 mile or so, I didn't get rained on. I chose to stay close to home and walk a route that circles the country club where I live. I decided to go the entire distance to see both how far it was and how long it would take me; now I have some numbers to compare throughout the year. It was 2.5 miles from doorstep to doorstep--perfect amount and it took me 55 minutes. Although it doesn't look like it on a map, there are quite a few steep hills to climb---anyway steep to me right now. Elevation gains are between 40-55 feet, but within less than a tenth of a mile--definitely got my heart pumping; another reason this route will be good for me to use frequently. Maybe once a week, just to get my heart pumping more and vary the muscles I am using. (My friend Jeff is probably rolling on the floor laughing right now--he attempted Mt. Rainier last summer--we are REALLY talking elevation gain there!) You can view the route and all the data here: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/596798

It's a bit different walking around a neighborhood, but over time I can watch the now-covered trailers become uncovered; the houses for sale and rent fill back up; and flowers start to bloom as spring arrives. I noticed today that some daffodils at my house are peeking up through the dirt.

Today I am going to measure my hips, thighs, waist, and arms so I will have body measurements to compare each month. Don't expect me to share those here, but I will share the result totals each month. I really am curious to see how my body changes over the year.

1 comment:

  1. Hey...no laughing here, just a prideful smile. Keep climbing! Remember, once you make it to the top, it's all downhill from there.

    ReplyDelete