Monday, January 25, 2010

1/25/2010 Bellingham South Bay Trail and Boulevard Park

Very nice day today. My friend Christie and I were heading to Bellingham for a few things, so we decided to walk a trail while we were there. We parked at Boulevard Park and walked southwest to the end of the trail and then northeast a bit and back. All in all we did 2.06 miles in about 46 minutes. A good walk. I decided that my speed is dependent largely on the type of surface I am walking on. Yesterday's walk was a slower pace, but it was a dirt trail. Today I was on wood, cement, and packed gravel.


Part of this trail is built out over the water on a pier. Very nice and great view of Bellingham Bay since you are literally right on top of it.  Another thing this trail has at Boulevard Park is  Wood's Coffee right in the park; perfect for an after walk beverage!  Lots of people out today biking, running, walking dogs, taking kids for walks in strollers; lots to observe.  There are benches to sit on all along the way, and a children's play area, even a small sandy beach to play on. We were in wind quite a bit while on the pier portion of the walk, but once we left Boulevard Park and headed toward Bellingham, the trail was much more protected from the elements; in fact, we got a bit warm and had to unzip a few layers. That part of the trail parallels the train tracks...very loud, by the way, when the train whistle blows.

You can see my route here:  http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/607882

1 comment:

  1. That's my walk! I wish I could join you on these Bellingham walks! By the way...little correction for your story--that is Wood's Coffe, not Whidbey Coffee at the park. :)

    ReplyDelete