Sunday, January 24, 2010

1/24/2010 Cranberry Lake, Cama Beach State Park

This morning I decided to drive to Camano Island to Cama Beach State Park and take a hike I read about to Cranberry Lake.  The drive itself one way took as long as the hike, but it was a nice day, and the drive to around Camano Island is really nice.  I read about this hike in a collection of winter hikes I have. It is only 3/4 mile into Cranberry Lake, all on a nicely maintained trail through fern groves and deciduous and evergreen trees. In one spot there is a boardwalk built over a small stream.  Like some of my other walks, this is a trail that will be interesting to walk all four seasons of the year. 

I was looking forward to seeing a lot of wildlife, as everything that I read said that there is quite a bit at the lake, but alas, today, there was none.  Maybe it was because it was Sunday morning and all the waterfowl was sleeping in. I heard some birds when I got to the lake, but couldn't see where they were, and no ducks or anything else.  The water on the lake was so calm that the trees reflected in it perfectly.

Cama Beach State Park is a unique state park in Washington.  It contains several cabins right on the beach that can be rented for stays instead of actually camping. The cabins are replicas of old beach cabins.  They don't have TVs, cable, or stoves, but they have electricity, bathrooms, microwave, refrigerator, and such. Great way to get away from it all.  You can see my route here:  http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/607108

No comments:

Post a Comment