Thursday, May 13, 2010

5/8/2010 A Walk With My Mom

My mom and step-dad came to visit me this Mother's Day weekend, so quickly upon their arrival, I talked them into going for a walk with me. We headed to the Port of Skagit trails because I knew there were benches for my mom (who will be 81 next month) and we could choose a shorter route. We did 1.45 miles all together. Mom did the first loop with us and then waited at the car while Tony and I did the lower loop around the eagle's nest area. It was great going for a walk with the two of them. Mom has had both knees and both hips replaced, but does pretty good for short walks. The best was having her identify all the trees along the way. One I was curious about has pretty white blooms. Turns out it is a hawthorn, and there are plenty of them in bloom around the port trails. The other thing we saw, of course, were the salmonberries, and Tony had to stop and collect a few along the way. We all reminisced about picking salmonberries when we were growing up. We also saw several red-winged blackbirds, which Mom enjoyed watching. It was a great day for a walk; I really didn't care about the distance or the time today, just enjoyed walking with my mom and Tony.  Here's our route: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/711256

1 comment:

  1. I got to be with my Mom on Mother's Day too. It had been several years since I had been so lucky. I too love walking in the woods with my mom. She too is great at identifying the trees and plants. (in Texas at least)

    ReplyDelete