Friday, May 7, 2010

5/7/2010 Sunshine!

The sunshine today made everyone forget how hard it rained and blew just 5 days ago. So many postings on Facebook today mentioning the sun and blue sky. And it was a beautiful day. Made me think about how lucky I am to be somewhat retired at a fairly young age and be able to enjoy days like this. I ran errands all day, so didn't take my walk until nearly 5:30, but that seems to be the time I enjoy most to be out walking. It is quiet then, the birds are all chirping, and quite often most people are home having dinner, so I am alone on the trails. Today was no exception.  I walked the 2.9 mile trail up Ovenell Road almost to the recycle center and then through the woods and back down Ovenell again, and never saw a soul. Once I got into the woods, remnants of the wind storm Sunday and Monday were quite evident, with at least two places scattered with fresh sawdust where some "logging" had to take place to remove some of the larger trees that had fallen across the trail. The trail was still quite muddy in the shaded areas, too, from the rain we had earlier this week.

I don't think anyone can really envision what the forest here is like unless they walk through it. It is full of very old growth timber: huge fir, hemlock, and cedar trees as well as old oak trees.  This stump or stumps is a conglomerate of what appears to be at least 4 or 5 trees that stood as one not too long ago.  My guess is, we lost them to a windstorm.
I also saw, and ate, my first salmonberries today. I knew there were wild blackberries along the trail, but didn't think about the salmonberries. Now I'll have snacks if I get hungry on my walks.My time was pretty horrible for this walk, but I was really enjoying the walk and all the nature around me, and stopping to take pictures everywhere. Nice walk! My route is here: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/709762

No comments:

Post a Comment