Monday, May 3, 2010

5/3/2010 Windy, Windy, Windy

We are having very unusual weather here, as is the whole nation, it seems. The wind has blown for a couple of days now. I slept with my window open last night and I have to say the wind kept me awake by blowing my binds around so much. News reports say we have had 40-50 MPH gusts here. And it is snowing in the passes--in fact, they called for a winter storm warning today. I think they need to change that--it is, after all, May. I hadn't really been for a GOOD walk for several days now, and since the sky was blue, even though it was windy, I decided to give it a shot and headed for the Port. It was a good decision. I had a nice 2.2 mile walk around the outer loop trail at the Port of Skagit. I was protected from the wind for the first part of the walk, although I could hear it blowing all around me, and there were signs of the strong winds along the trail--as you can see in this picture. But mostly it was small branches. I didn't get hit by the wind until I got to the back side of the trail, along the airport runways, and then it wasn't too bad except for a couple of blasts where I could barely walk. It reminded me of one of my first walks this year out on the Padilla Bay trail. Once I got back into the trees again, I was fine, and the wind was actually at my back on the last leg--kind of pushing me along. I was plenty warm with a great wind jacket on, but my hands got cold--I shouldn't have let the blue sky fool me. It was just barely 50. Hardly anyone else on the trail today, in fact, my car was the only one in the parking lot--gee, I wonder why?
Tomorrow I am heading to Lopez to visit my friend Pat and go for a walk out there. Should be nice. Hope the wind is gone. Here's my route today: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/704364

No comments:

Post a Comment