Tuesday, May 4, 2010

5/4/2010 Lopez Island

Wow! What a treat today! My friend Pat Fitzgerald invited me out to Lopez Island today where she and her husband have a cabin, so we spent a bit of the afternoon walking on two trails. One was a little over 2 miles long, the other just under 1/2 a mile.  The first walk was out to Iceberg Island State Park, an area I hadn't ever been to before on the island, and I'm not sure too many people except locals know about it. The entrance is gated with a no parking sign and private property signs, but just down the road a ways from that is the official state park sign. Pretty nice secret, Lopez Islanders!  The trail is pretty much grass and dirt, and winds through a mostly pine tree and fern forest before opening up to a rocky point. The weather was beautiful all day; blue sky and sunshine--unlike what I left at home this morning. 
After we did the first walk, Pat drove us to Watmough Park, and oh my gosh---it is only .23 miles through the woods, but ends at a most beautiful bay. The water was crystal clear close to the shore and beautiful blue farther out. Tiny little fish were jumping everywhere--guess it was feeding time. It was actually pretty breathtaking there. So peaceful too. We sat on the logs for a bit taking it all in. What a great way to spend the day! 
You can see my routes here; my Trimble AllSport program even worked on the islands! 
Iceberg Island:


No comments:

Post a Comment