Wednesday, February 24, 2010

2/24/2010 Parking Lots

Today it was rainy and gray, but still in the low 50s. The weather report said it was going to let up in the afternoon, so I opted to walk later in the day. By 4:00 PM I still hadn't gotten my walk in and needed to go to Costco, so I put the two together, and went for a walk before going into Costco. I am amazed at how far we can walk in 30 minutes. I started off from the Costco parking lot, headed to the local Outlet Mall, around it, and then down the main street back to Costco. 1.29 miles, 30 minutes. I decided anyone who saw me walking would just think I was hurrying from one place to another. Since I was able to walk this entire route in 30 minutes, I am embarrassed to say that I normally drive between Costco and the Outlet Mall, what took me maybe 5 minutes to walk today.
It was quite windy (as evidenced by the flags) but not raining, which was nice. I am saddened to see all the shops that are closed at the Outlet Mall. I would venture to say that close to half the stores are empty. A sign of the times, I guess. A new company took them over this last year, painted things, gave everything a new look, but slowly the stores have left; Samsonite, Liz Claiborne, Kitchen Collection...some new things have arrived, but they aren't outlet stores--Weight Watchers, Curves, a restaurant. Then as I was walking down the main street, I passed the Saturn Car lot--gone and closed up. Furniture still in the showroom, though; looks like they just up and left one day. Too bad.
My feet and legs hold up much better on trails then on sidewalks, I decided. It's not near as comfortable to walk on the cement surrounded by automobiles, and believe me when I say pedestrians are not meant for Costco parking lots!
My route today can be seen here:  http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/628600

No comments:

Post a Comment