Saturday, February 20, 2010

2/20/2010 A Frozen Walk

Today was just about as good as yesterday as far as the lengths I am going these days to get my walks in.  While at home they are enjoying balmy 56 degrees, I woke to snow and ice on the ground and on my car. I taught until 4:30 this afternoon, and it was snowing again and the temperature was in the mid 20s. By then I had clocked over two miles of walking during class or lunch, but none of it was aerobic. I had to hurry back to my hotel because the son and daughter-in-law and grandkids of my friend Pat Fitzgerald live here in Colorado Springs, and they picked me up tonight and we went to the Air Force Academy to watch a gymnastics meet. What a special treat!  I had visions of taking a walk during the meet, but it was snowing quite a bit by the time we got on academy grounds. When I got back to the hotel at 9:00 is when I decided I must be nuts, because I decided to go for a walk. Now, it's in the low 20's. There is snow and ice everywhere--the ice is the frozen snow made icy by cars driving on it.  I have tennis shoes, not snow shoes, and I don't have anything but my nice clothes and a pair of sweat pants--but I do have a warm coat, gloves, and hat, so off I went.  I got in 26 minutes of a good walk, 1.09 miles, a for a total of 3 miles today. Mind you, it wasn't a fast pace--but then again, I was walking through parking lots of hotels and restaurants (There are 5 hotels, 4 restaurants, and 1 gas station where I am staying--one of those little hubs right off the freeway.), in the snow and ice, at 6300 feet elevation. I think I did pretty darn well!  Anyway, I know I am certifiably nuts, but it sure felt good!  You can see my weird route here:  http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/625373

No comments:

Post a Comment