Wednesday, February 17, 2010

2/17/2010 The Interurban

Today my friend Christie and I drove up to Larrabee State Park to walk part of the Interurban Trail. The Interurban is one of the Rails to Trails hikes, and runs nearly 6 miles into Bellingham. It was a rail line for an electric train back in the 1920s. Today it is a great wide, fairly level trail for horses, bicyclists, walkers, and runners.
Parts of the trail are dirt while others are graveled. We only walked 1.4 miles out and then back, for a total of 2.8 miles. Again today it was pretty effortless, and we could have gone longer, but I was in a time crunch to get back home for an appointment.  This summer or spring we can walk further on the trail.  It was a beautiful day, although a bit crisp this morning. In the 50s by afternoon, but only in the 30s at night, so still a bit cool at 11:00 AM when we started the walk.  A couple of bicyclists passed us, and a runner scared the heck out me--was literally right behind me before he yelled that he was passing us. Since I don't know my left from my right without consciously thinking, I jumped to the wrong direction and he ran in to me. A little excitement for the day! You can see part of my route here: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/622858   Once again the GPS failed me for part of the walk..

No comments:

Post a Comment