Tuesday, February 16, 2010

2/16/2010 Burlington Dike Trail

Today is my 47th day of walking. Wow! Amazing to me. I know that millions of people around the world walk every day. For many people in third world countries, walking is their only mode of transportation. And there are others who walk every day for their health. My brother started walking a couple of years ago and lost a great deal of weight, as did a lady I used to work with. Others just like to walk for the sheer enjoyment of being outside. Me? I am relishing just being able to walk pain free every day.  I think I should send my orthopedic surgeon and my physical therapist thank you notes!  But I am also beginning to enjoy walking for what I am able to see every day...it gives me a chance to look at things in a different way. I look for new things to see when I walk the same routes. Today I noticed that the river was lower than at any time I had walked the dike so far. Sand bars were appearing in the river. 
I also noticed what looked like a homeless camp today, which was a surprise. Now it could be that someone was enjoying the sun yesterday and left everything here, but I'm thinking not. It definitely looked like someone was camping here.
 Lots of birds out today. There is one field that the seagulls love; not sure what is planted in it, but it's always filled with seagulls. This walk is about 2 1/2 miles long, and if I didn't stop to take pictures all the time, my pace would be close to 3 miles per hour, but I'm not there yet, and the pace isn't as important to me as enjoying the walk.  I noticed today how effortless it was to go this distance and walk for nearly an hour. If I feel the need to increase my distance, and thus my time, this could take up a chunk of my day. But then, I'm retired, right? Lovin' it!!  You can see my route here:  http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/622255

No comments:

Post a Comment