Monday, February 15, 2010

2/15/2010 Bowman Bay

I woke up this morning to a beautiful day--the sun was shining. With nothing on my calendar--after all, it is a holiday today, I decided to drive over to Deception Pass State Park and take one of the many hikes there.
This picture was taken on a hill looking back down at Bowman Bay. Last year for my birthday, a friend gave me a gadget called an XShot, which allows you to take pictures of yourself by extending the camera about 3 feet away from arms length, then setting it on a timer. Works great if there is no one around to take a picture of you and/or you have short arms!
     My phone had a difficult time picking up a signal at one point in the walk, so I am not positive of my exact distance, but estimate it to be about 3 miles. The route I took was the Deception Pass Headlands Trail. Even though I printed out the guide, I didn't use it very well, so never really quite knew where I was! And I certainly wasn't expecting the hill climbing. However, if I had read my trail guide, I would have noticed a 350 foot elevation gain. 

Then entire distance of the trail was 5 miles, but I didn't take the .3 mile loop around Rosario Head, nor did I take the loop around Lighthouse Point or Lottie Point. The loop around Lighthouse Point is 1 mile.  I am guessing my walk took me about 1.5 hours, although the phone GPS said 1 hour, but it really missed out on quite a bit of the trail. Of course, had I brought my pedometer, I at least would have had a distance from that. Oh, well. It was a great walk, and a good test for my knee hiking on rocky, dirt trails; having to climb somewhat steep hills, and climb down again.  I did wish I had brought a climbing stick, but it wasn't a necessity. 
The views were stunning today; even the Olympics were showing to the southwest.  Lots of people out too, hiking, walking on the beach, playing with dogs, picnicking.  Great day.
Trip data, for what it's worth today, can be found here: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/621548

No comments:

Post a Comment