Wednesday, January 13, 2010

1/13/2010 A Walk in an Airport

Today I flew to the East Coast, but I vowed to get at least 30 minutes of walking in. First there was the trek through SeaTac Airport to my gate; not aerobic, but there was some walking since I was at the S gate.  (There were also escalators and a tram ride.)  When I landed in Detroit I had about 30 minutes before boarding my connecting flight. I came in at gate A68 and my next flight left from Gate A21, so off I went, pulling my little bag on wheels behind me. For the first time in my life I walked the entire way, didn't use the people movers or the tram they have. It was a 15 minute walk just from gate to gate, at a good fast pace and it felt great! 98% of the people were using the people movers, as you can see in this picture, but not me; my pathway was clear.


Flying used to really bother my knee and thus my leg, but with my knee replacement, it's great. The flights didn't bother me at all.  After my arrival in Philadelphia, I walked to dinner and back with my friends, and kept up with them block after block.  All in all today I walked 1.99 miles.  Only 6,300+ steps, but that's not too bad. I have ranged between 6700 and 12,100 daily this past week, so not too far off considering it was 8:00 PM here by the time I left the airline terminal. Tomorrow we have a 10+ hour drive ahead of us, walks every so often will be a necessity. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment