Tuesday, January 12, 2010

1/12/2010 Port of Skagit Trail #3


Today I vowed to walk outside even if it was raining. One day a week inside is enough. It feels so good to get outside.  My friend Christie went with me today, and we tried another of the Port of Skagit Trails. This one follows Ovenell Road for a bit, and then makes a loop through the trees at the back side of the Skagit Regional Airport. I opted for a "woodsy" route today, because I thought if it DID rain hard, at least it wouldn't be as bad in the woods. As it turned out, it was just sort of sprinkling when we started and never really rained very hard. Very mild today, too, in the low 50's, and no wind. All in all, a nice day for a walk.


Still lots of berries left for the birds; hopefully they'll still be around if it freezes.  This route should be very nice this spring and summer and even this fall when the leaves start turning color. It will be fun to walk it each season and see how it changes.   Christie say this log she is standing next to is called a Nurse Log, it allows other plants to start growing from it. According to an online dictionary: the decaying wood provides moisture and nutrients for a variety of insects and plants.



The next few days will be challenging as I am flying to the east coast tomorrow and then driving back cross country. Should be back home by next Tuesday.  I have vowed to walk every day of the trip, however, so blogs will be coming in from Ohio or Indiana or South Dakota...who knows. It might be that I circle a rest area several times, or take two 30 minute walks at different times, but I'll continue on and post pics. You can see data from my trip today, including my route here:  http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/599321






No comments:

Post a Comment