Friday, February 5, 2010

2/5/2010 Walk, Don't Run

Today's walk only amounted to 1.5 miles. Probably the shortest amount of walking I have done since I started this last month. All of my walking today was done in airports: Dulles, Atlanta, SeaTac. Washington, DC was getting hit with a major snowstorm today, and I got out just in time. I made sure I was at the airport early; I thought it might be crazy. It DID take me over 30 minutes to get through security, and then when I got to my gate which was the last one in the terminal, I found my flight was delayed, so instead of just sitting as I would have done in the past, I walked around, dragging my suitcase and carry on. My flight ended up being the last flight out of Dulles today for Delta Airlines. They were offering people $400 to give up their seats, but the next flight they could be booked on was Sunday at 1:30 PM. Once I got on the plane, I realized why they were overbooked: at least 8 seats that I know of were filled with flight crews of cancelled flights who had to get to another destination for another flight.  I hadn't ever thought about how cancelled flights also impact the movement of flight crews.
Nearly every row of listed flights looked like this when I arrived at the airport this morning.  We ended up taking off an hour late. Now I only originally had 80 minutes between connecting flights in Atlanta, and since we were so late, when we got to Atlanta, I pretty much had to walk the length of the terminal at full speed ahead. No time to dilly dally, make a bathroom stop, or eat.  Luckily my incoming and outgoing flights were in the same terminal, but they couldn't have been farther apart.  When I got to my new gate, the plane was already loaded, but I made it!  As luck would have it, or the travel gods had pity on me, I ended up seated in First Class...I had a bathroom, lunch, it was sweet! And we landed in Seattle 45 minutes early, which gave me plenty of time to walk the length of the airport in search of Starbucks and then down to wait for my bus home.  Too late and too dark to do any additional walking tonight. I'll have to settle for the 1.5 miles of airports today.

No comments:

Post a Comment