Monday, February 1, 2010

2/1/2010 Cascade Trail

Today my friend Christie and I walked a 1.4 mile section of the Cascade Trail outside of Sedro Woolley.  This is one of over a 1000 Rails-to-Trails areas in the United States, thanks to an amendment in 1983 that allowed abandoned railways to be used as trails until a future use came up.  The Cascade Trail runs over 22 miles from Sedro Woolley to Concrete, so at my rate, it would take me 14 different walks to cover the distance. 
The trail is mainly crushed gravel, and the part we walked on today was pretty level.  Not much to take pictures of today; it was a bit gray, ready to rain, and I think all the wildlife was keeping warm somewhere, but that enabled us to keep up a pretty good pace and we ended up walking nearly 3 miles out and back.  Next time we will start up the trail a bit farther.  We crossed a couple of creeks, and in the foreground you could see the North Cascade mountain range peeking up. I imagine this will be a very scenic area to walk later this spring.
There was a lot of controversy when this trail was first created--people living near the trail didn't want it created. I hope now they see that most walkers and joggers and hikers are a polite bunch who are just out to enjoy nature, not destroy it.  You can see my route here: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/612380

No comments:

Post a Comment