Saturday, March 20, 2010

3/20/2010 Monument Valley Park, Colorado Springs

Finally a real walk. I was never so glad to put my tennis shoes on and head outside for an uninterrupted walk. It was 17 degrees outside when I left for class this morning, but by the end of the day, it had risen to 40 and most of the snow was gone, at least on the roads. I really wasn't prepared for snow and cold. When I left home a week ago, the weather forecast for here was much better, so I didn't bring a heavy coat, hat, or gloves. Now at home if I went for a walk even in the 50s, I have my hat and gloves on, but compared to the early morning temperatures, this afternoon felt real warm. I did some quick research online after my class, and headed to Monument Valley Park which is just a few miles from my hotel. It is actually on the national register of historic places. It is a very nice park with a beautiful trail along Monument Creek that was developed in 1904. Lots of people were out walking or jogging, and I got there just as the sun was dropping below the mountains. Twice now I have done walks just as the sun was setting, and the light it casts really creates some beautiful colors. My walk was 2.56 miles out and back on the trail, a dirt trail raised above the river. The mountains were to the west and south, and it was quite pretty. The Creek that runs along the trail has little waterfalls every so often.

 Heading out on the trail was pretty good. The first time I walk a trail, there's a bit of excitement in what I will discover, if I will get any great pictures, so the walk out or the first half of the walk always goes pretty fast. The walk back or the second half is another story. Tonight the story was COLD. After the sun went down, the temperature dropped pretty quickly. In fact it was down to 34 degrees by the time I got back to the car. I had no hat, no gloves, and only a wind/rain jacket for a coat. My ears, face, and hands were pretty cold when I finished. But it sure felt good to walk. You can see my route and data here: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/650711

No comments:

Post a Comment