Saturday, March 13, 2010

3/13/2010 Runnin' 'O the Green

Runnin' 'O the Green was my walk today, a 2 mile fun run/walk put on by Bellingham Parks and Rec. I can't say I was too prepared for it. Up until today my only fun run was the Race for the Cure many years ago in its early stages, and a remembrance walk in Manson, Washington, for a deputy sheriff killed in the line of duty.  Both of those were pretty low key. I came dressed for this walk like I do all my other walks--cotton pants, hat, gloves, coat; I looked pretty out of place compared to all the runners in their fancy gear. Shorts, tight running pants, no coats, wind jackets. I seriously have to get some new walking garb if I keep this up. I looked like an elf helper of Nanook of the North. I did have my new walking hat on, though, and it's sort of green, so at least I fit in that way. No wonder Christie, who was walking with me, ended up walking ahead of me for a good part of the way.
 I pinned my number across the zipper on my coat, so I couldn't unzip my coat once I got started either, and it did get a bit warm, considering I had two shirts on under the coat.  Oh well, I'll be better dressed for the next one.
I have to say I really didn't enjoy this experience all that much. I felt very rushed, and in fact, came in under 40 minutes for the 2 mile. That's pretty fast for me. Normally I am 22 minutes per mile at least.  I also didn't really want to come in last, and just beat maybe 3 or 4 other walkers. I'm pretty sure Christie didn't want to come in last either, and she had waited for me near the finish line.
I guess the good thing here is that I actually participated in a 2 mile walk, something I had only done once in the last 2 years and only twice before ever. The other good things are that it was a nice day, the weather cooperated, and I learned a few things about how I need to dress for the next one. My only worry now is my pace--these short little legs can only go so fast!  Here's my route: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/642682

No comments:

Post a Comment