Saturday, January 2, 2010

1/2/2010 Highway 20 Trail


Today luckily I delayed my walk until this afternoon. By then it had quit raining and the temperature was a balmy 47 degrees. My walks these days are chosen for safety reasons, as it gets dark here early and I most often walk alone, so today's walk was selected for safety reasons. It is a paved walking path along a major roadway, Highway 20, between Burlington and Sedro Woolley. The literature says it is 1.7 miles long, but I only went out 1 mile and then looped back. Knee isn't ready yet for much beyond 2 miles, which takes me about 40 odd minutes each time.  Eventually, I'll try to stretch my time to 1 hour, in preparation for some longer "hike" type walks this spring and summer. The minimum I'll walk is 30 minutes, which is the minimum necessary for any sort of healthy benefit.


Since the trail is along a busy highway, it was quite noisy--not a peaceful walk, but it was safe, and having lived in Burlington for the past 29 years and never having walked this route, I did see interesting sites, like a real tree house (furnished and all), multiple bird nests, and two small railroad trestles. I was impressed to see trees with no leaves, but showing plenty of red and pink berries--food for the birds.

1 comment:

  1. This is really cool, Becky. Reading this made me think of David Byrne's "Bicyle Diaries." Who knows, maybe you'll write a book!

    ReplyDelete