Friday, January 1, 2010

1/1/2010 Padilla Bay Trail

My first walk today was on a local trail about a 10 minute drive from my home called the Padilla Bay trail. It is maintained by Skagit County Parks. The trail is actually on a dike that meanders through an estuary preserve. It's a very easy gravel trail; kid and animal friendly. In hiking books, it is listed as difficulty 1, the easiest. Since I am just 6 months out from knee surgery, the trails I choose for these first few months will be of little challenge until I build up more strength in my leg and stamina in my lungs.


It was very windy today, and although it had been raining through the night, I didn't get rained on at all during the walk. Temperature was in the upper 40s. I was surprised to see 4 other cars in the parking area when I arrived; I wasn't alone.  Nice walk, but like I said, very windy. I only went 2 miles today--a mile out and then back.  Heading out was pretty easy; wind was at my back, and at one time I got up to 3 MPH which is a pretty good pace for my short legs; however, on the way back, holy smokes--the wind was blowing so hard at me, I was having a hard time standing up at times. I would say that the Skagit Flats isn't a great area to walk if the wind is blowing hard.  As I was returning to my car, a couple jogged past me...I could only wonder if they would still be jogging on their return trip.

Usually I see some wildlife here--eagles, ducks, herons; but not today...they were much smarter than I was; or they were recovering from New Year's Eve.  At any rate, Day 1 is in the books! You can view the stats here:  http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/592374

No comments:

Post a Comment